Welcome to the project for providing freely available dictionaries, spell- and grammar checking systems for Norwegian bokmål and nynorsk. This
project is a continuation of the good work done previously by Rune
Kleveland, and is the source of all the freely available spell
checking systems for these languages. Currently, support for ispell,
aspell and myspell is included.
The maintenance of the word database is done using the system
speling.org. This is an email
driven system where everybody can help to make the database better by
proof reading the words.
This project includes the following for bokmål and nynorsk:
- Hunspell spellchecker:
- Word database, with word class and conjugation information.
- Thesaurus database.
- Hyphenation rules (in TeX format, automatically transformed to
- Affix rules (in ispell format, automatically transformed to aspell
and myspell format).
- Word frequency information, in cooperation the «An Gramadoir»
project and others.
- LanguageTool grammar checker:
- Norwegian grammar ;)
- rules, algorithms
The project files are maintained on Alioth.
- 2016-04-21 Version 2.2 released
- Version 2.2 was release April 15th. More information about the new release can be found
- 2012-10-02 Press release about version 2.1
- The project sent out
press release with information about the new release.
- The Grammar project was started. It's living in grammar-norwegian/ in the CVS, but is in pre-beta stage for the moment (not ready for distribution).
A wiki page is created to ease collaboration and to include also people without CVS :)
- 2008-03-10 Version 2.0.10 released
- Axel wrapped up a new release with a lot of new words.
press release was distributed to announce it.
- 2007-02-20 Press release from NUUG about the new release
- NUUG sent out
press release with information about the new release and a
reminder about the request to release the official list of Norwegian
- 2006-02-19 Version 2.0.9 released
- Håvard wrapped up a new release with a lot of new words.
- 2007-01-17 Application to release the norwegian word database
- Got hold of an application
sent by the norwegian language council (Språkrådet) 2006-09-26 to the department
of culture for funding to improve the official word database and release
the content for free use by both commercial and non-commercial use.
- 2006-12-04 Article in Computerworld Norge
- A request to the department of culture in Norway from Norwegian
Unix User Group resulted in
titled "Linux-dugnad skal redde nynorsk".
- 2006-03-31 Article in Computerworld Norge
- An interview with Axel Bojer and Petter Reinholdtsen about the
Norwegian spell checking project appeared in Computerworld Norge issue
2006-03-31 page 8 and the
version appeared 2006-04-02.
- 2006-02-27 Press release about the project
- Published a press
release about the new birth of the project, to try to get more
participants and make the improved spell checking system more
- 2006-02-25 Web page renovated
- Axel and Petter spent a few hours freshing up the web pages, to
make it easier to find ones way around the site, and to prepare for a
upcoming press release.
- 2006-02-24 Version 2.0.6 released
- Petter made a new release with improved nb thesaurus support in
the OOo package.
- 2006-02-19 Version 2.0.5 released
- 2006-02-16 Version 2.0.4 released
- 2006-01-15 Version 2.0.3 released
- 2006-01-04 Version 2.0.2 released
- 2005-12-31 Version 2.0.1 released
- 2000-09-12 Version 2.0 released
- 1998-07-06 Version 1.1a released
- 1998-06-03 Version 1.1 released
- 1998-05-20 Version 1.0 released
Updated source tarball and myspell(OOo) package are
Aspell and ispell packages are coming soon.
Torstein made a preliminary packages available from
his home page.
This are untested and only for review. Comments regarding these:
ispell package is only with hash files. Might be missing some files
aspell: untested (This is contributed by Toralf Lund)
myspell: should be the same found at openoffice.org spell pages.
(This is contributed by Toralf Lund.)
If you find that some words are missing from the bokmål or the
nynorsk read the documentation
speling.org, and join the proof readers of the word lists.
If you find bugs and other problems with this package, report it to
the project mailing list. Both English and Norwegian is acceptable on
This spell checking package and word database is licenced using the
GNU general public licence v2 or later.
The project is currently using the
translators mailing list to coordinate the work. Email:
i18n-no <at> lister dot ping dot uio dot no
to get in touch with the project members.